Friday, 6 January 2012

Post 8 - In Which Beki debates her enjoyment of reading the "classics"

So as you know (if you have read this blog previously) I have been reading Around the World in 80 Days. (Points if you realised my blog post title was an imitation of the chapter titles) and it got me thinking about how I actually don't enjoy reading classical literature that much.

I can appreciate why people enjoy the classics and I don't think we would have the fiction we have today if we didn't have the likes of Austen and Dickens, and certainly the BBC would have less adaptations to put on. However I just don't enjoy reading them. It has nothing to do with the language, in fact I would like to think it would help me to improve my vocabulary, even it's going to fill it with archaic Victorian words.

 I can't really pin point what it is that doesn't make me a fan of the "classic" novels I love historical fiction it would be my first choice of genre yet books written from that era would be way down on my list, possibly just above Science Fiction... Having said that I so read them party because I feel that I should but sometimes because I just want to see what the fuss is about. One day I'm hoping I will read something that I think is amazing and it will turn my viewpoint around but so far anything written further back that about the 1930's has failed to do so...

The blog post was really a bit of me thinking out loud and realising I haven't posted in the last few days. I'm at 85% on the book so will finish it today and maybe watch one of the films if I feel up to it after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment